- : Surgery to remove a cone-shaped piece of tissue from the cervix and cervical canal. Conization may be used to diagnose or treat a cervical condition. Also called cone biopsy.
* * *- cold knife c. obtaining a cone of endocervical tissue with a cold knife blade so as to preserve histological characteristics and avoid desiccating tissue.
* * *con·iza·tion .kō-nə-'zā-shən, .kän-ə- n the electrosurgical excision of a cone of tissue from a diseased uterine cervix
* * *n.surgical removal of a cone of tissue. The technique is commonly used in excising a portion of the cervix (neck) of the uterus (see cone biopsy) for the treatment of cervicitis or early cancer (carcinoma in situ).
* * *con·iza·tion (kon″ĭ-zaґshən) the removal of a cone of tissue, as in biopsy of the cervix uteri. Called also cone biopsy.
Medical dictionary. 2011.