- Inflammation of the episclera, a thin membrane that covers the sclera (the white of the eye). Episcleritis is typically benign, easily treated with topical antiinflammatory drops, and usually soon resolved.
* * *- e. periodica fugax diffuse transient e., with a tendency to recur at regular intervals. SYN: subconjunctivitis.
* * *epi·scle·ri·tis -sklə-'rīt-əs n inflammation of the superficial layers of the sclera
* * *n.inflammation of the episclera, resulting in a red painful eye that is sensitive to light. It is usually a benign condition, which will settle without treatment.
* * *epi·scle·ri·tis (ep″ĭ-sklə-riґtis) inflammation of the episclera and adjacent tissues; it may be confined to a sector or diffuse, and is usually idiopathic and self-limited. Visual acuity is usually normal. Cf. scleritis.
Medical dictionary. 2011.