- Distention of the kidney with urine. Due to obstruction of urine outflow (for example, by a stone blocking the ureter, the tube going
* * *Dilation of the pelvis and calices of one or both kidneys. This may result from obstruction to the flow of urine, vesicoureteral reflux, or it may be a primary congenital deformity without an apparent cause. SYN: pelvocaliectasis, pyeloureterectasis. [hydro- + G. nephros, kidney, + -osis, condition]
* * *hy·dro·ne·phro·sis -ni-'frō-səs n, pl -phro·ses -.sēz cystic distension of the kidney caused by the accumulation of urine in the renal pelvis as a result of obstruction to outflow and accompanied by atrophy of the kidney structure and cyst formation
* * *n.distension and dilatation of the pelvis of the kidney. This is due to an obstruction to the free flow of urine from the kidney. An obstruction at or below the neck of the bladder will result in hydronephrosis of both kidneys. The term primary pelvic hydronephrosis is used when the obstruction, usually functional, is at the junction of the renal pelvis and ureter. Surgical relief by pyeloplasty is advisable to avoid the back pressure atrophy of the kidney and the complications of infection and stone formation.• hydronephrotic adj.
* * *hy·dro·ne·phro·sis (hi″dro-nə-froґsis) [hydro- + nephro- + -osis] distention of the pelvis and calices of the kidney with urine, as a result of obstruction of the ureter. hydronephrotic adj
Hydronephrosis demonstrated in a percutaneous anterograde pyelogram.
Medical dictionary. 2011.