- : A procedure in which the doctor inserts a tube into the chest to view the organs in the mediastinum. The tube is inserted through an incision above the breastbone.
* * *Endoscopic examination of the mediastinum through a suprasternal incision, usually for biopsy of paratracheal lymph node s. [mediastinum + G. skopeo, to view]- anterior m. modification of the Chamberlain procedure in which a mediastinoscope is used for exploration of the anterior mediastinum and subaortic regions.- extended m. cervical m. in which, in addition to the standard pre- and paratracheal exploration, the mediastinoscope is passed anterior to the innominate artery and aortic arch to provide access to the subaortic (aortopulmonary window) and anterior mediastinal lymph node s; an alternative to the Chamberlain procedure.
* * *me·di·as·ti·nos·co·py .mē-dē-.as-tə-'näs-kə-pē n, pl -pies examination of the mediastinum through an incision above the sternum
* * *n.examination of the mediastinum, usually by means of an endoscope inserted through a small incision in the neck region. It can be used to assess the spread of intrathoracic tumours and for lymph node biopsy.
* * *me·di·as·ti·nos·co·py (me″de-as″tĭ-nosґkə-pe) examination of the mediastinum by means of an endoscope inserted through an anterior incision in the suprasternal notch, permitting direct inspection and biopsy of tissue in the anterior superior mediastinum.
Medical dictionary. 2011.