- Hidden. Occult blood is hidden from the eye but is nonetheless present and can be detected by chemical tests. Spina bifida occulta is a hidden defect in the spinal column.
* * *1. Hidden; concealed; not manifest. 2. Denoting a concealed hemorrhage, the blood being inapparent or localized to a site where it is not visible. See o. blood. 3. In oncology, a clinically unidentified primary tumor with recognized metastases. [L. oc-culo, pp. -cultus, to cover, hide]
* * *oc·cult ə-'kəlt, 'äk-.əlt adj not manifest or detectable by clinical methods alone <\occult carcinoma> also not present in macroscopic amounts <\occult blood in a stool specimen> <fecal \occult blood testing> compare GROSS (1b)
* * *adj.not apparent to the naked eye; not easily determined or detected. For example occult blood is blood present in such small quantities, for example in the faeces, that it can only be detected microscopically or by chemical testing.
* * *oc·cult (ə-kultґ) [L. occultus] obscure; concealed from observation; difficult to understand.
Medical dictionary. 2011.