- Loosening of the nail from the nail bed, usually starting at the border of the nail. The nail tends to turn whitish or yellowish, reflecting the presence of air under it. The treatment is to trim the nail short, do not clean under the nail, and be patient. It generally takes 2 to 3 months to clear up.
* * *Loosening of the nails, beginning at the free border, and usually incomplete. [onycho- + G. lysis, loosening]
* * *on·y·chol·y·sis .än-ə-'käl-ə-səs n, pl -y·ses -.sēz a loosening of a nail from the nail bed beginning at the free edge and proceeding to the root
* * *n.separation or loosening of part or all of a nail from its bed. The condition may occur in psoriasis and in fungal infections of the skin and nail bed; it may also be caused by drugs. It is commoner in women and may return to normal spontaneously.
* * *on·y·chol·y·sis (on″ĭ-kolґĭ-sis) [onycho- + -lysis] separation of the nail plate from the nail bed, usually beginning at the free margin and progressing proximally.
Medical dictionary. 2011.