- Inflammation of the testis (male sex organ). There are many causes of inflammation of the testis including infections (such as mumps), diseases (such as polyarteritis nodosa), or injury. Also called orchiditis.
* * *- o. parotidea o. associated with mumps.- o. variolosa o. complicating smallpox.
* * *or·chi·tis ȯr-'kīt-əs n inflammation of a testis
* * *n.inflammation of the testis. This causes pain, redness, and swelling of the scrotum, and may be associated with inflammation of the epididymis (epididymo-orchitis). The condition may affect one or both testes; it is usually caused by infection spreading down the vas deferens but can develop in mumps. Mumps orchitis affecting both testes may result in sterility. Treatment of epididymo-orchitis is by local support and by administration of analgesics and antibiotics; mumps orchitis often responds to corticosteroid.
* * *or·chi·tis (or-kiґtis) [orchi- + -itis] inflammation of a testis, marked by pain, swelling, and a feeling of weight, often seen accompanying epididymitis (see epididymo-orchitis). It may occur idiopathically or be associated with conditions such as mumps, gonorrhea, filarial disease, syphilis, or tuberculosis. orchitic adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.