- : The area of the throat at the back of the mouth.
* * *The portion of the pharynx that lies posterior to the mouth; it is continuous above with the nasopharynx via the pharyngeal isthmus and below with the laryngopharynx. SYN: pars oralis pharyngis [TA], oral part of pharynx, oral pharynx. [L. os (or-), mouth]
* * *oro·phar·ynx -'far-iŋ(k)s n, pl -pha·ryn·ges -fə-'rin-(.)jēz also -phar·ynx·es the part of the pharynx that is below the soft palate and above the epiglottis and is continuous with the mouth
* * *n.the part of the pharynx that lies between the level of the junction of the hard and soft palates above, the hyoid bone below, and the arch of the soft palate in front. It contains the tonsil and connects the oral cavity and nasopharynx to the hypopharynx.• oropharyngeal adj.
* * *oro·phar·ynx (or″o-farґinks) [oro-1 + pharynx] pars oralis pharyngis.
Medical dictionary. 2011.