- A shortage of all types of blood cells, including red and white blood cells as well as platelets.
* * *Pronounced reduction in the number of erythrocytes, all types of white blood cells, and the blood platelets in the circulating blood. [pan- + G. kytos, cell, + penia, poverty]
* * *pan·cy·to·pe·nia .pan-.sīt-ə-'pē-nē-ə n an abnormal reduction in the number of red blood cells, white blood cells, and blood platelets in the blood also a disorder (as aplastic anemia) characterized by such a reductionpan·cy·to·pe·nic -'pē-nik adj
* * *n.a simultaneous decrease in the numbers of red cells (anaemia), white cells (neutropenia), and platelets (thrombocytopenia) in the blood. It occurs in a variety of disorders, including aplastic anaemia, hypersplenism, and tumours of the bone marrow. It may also occur after chemotherapy or total body irradiation.
* * *pan·cy·to·pe·nia (pan″si-to-peґne-ə) [pan- + cytopenia] deficiency of all cellular elements of the blood. See also erythropenia, leukopenia, and thrombocytopenia.
Medical dictionary. 2011.