- A disorder with numerous papillomas wart growths). For example, laryngeal papillomatosis is the presence of multiple papillomas on the vocal cords. It is most common in young children an is due to the human papilloma virus (HPV). A baby can get HPV by being born through a vaginal canal of a mother with genital warts which are also due to HPV.
* * *1. The development of numerous papillomas. 2. Papillary projections of the epidermis forming an undulating surface.- confluent and reticulate p. discrete and confluent gray-brown papules of the anterior and posterior mid-chest, spreading gradually; Malassezia furfur has been found in the keratin layer. SYN: Gougerot-Carteaud syndrome.- florid oral p. diffuse involvement of the lips and oral mucosa with benign squamous papillomas; microscopically, it resembles verrucous carcinoma, but it is not invasive or localized to a specific area of the oral mucosa.- juvenile p. a form of fibrocystic disease of the breast in young women, with florid and sclerosing adenosis that microscopically may suggest carcinoma.- laryngeal p. multiple squamous-cell papillomas of the larynx, seen most commonly in young children, usually due to infection by the human papilloma virus, which may be transmitted at birth from the maternal condylomata; recurrences are common, with remission after several years. SEE ALSO: recurrent respiratory p..- recurrent respiratory p. a disease of the respiratory tract caused by the human papilloma virus; characterized by rapid recurrence of papillomas after surgical removal, airway obstruction, and hoarseness to aphonia when the larynx is involved. SEE ALSO: laryngeal p..- subareolar duct p. a benign tumor that may clinically resemble Paget disease, but that is a papillary or solid growth of columnar and myoepithelial cells producing a florid pseudoinfiltrative pattern. SYN: adenoma of nipple, erosive adenomatosis of nipple.
* * *pap·il·lo·ma·to·sis -.lō-mə-'tō-səs n, pl -to·ses -.sēz a condition marked by the presence of numerous papillomas
* * *n.a condition in which many papilloma grow on an area of skin or mucous membrane.
* * *pap·il·lo·ma·to·sis (pap″ĭ-lo-mə-toґsis) the development of multiple papillomas.
Medical dictionary. 2011.