- The area between the anus and the scrotum in the male and between the anus and the vulva (the labial opening to the vagina) in the female. An episiotomy is a surgical procedure to widen the outlet of the birth canal to facilitate delivery of the baby and avoid a jagged rip of the perineum.
* * *1. [NA] The area between the thighs extending from the coccyx to the pubis and lying below the pelvic diaphragm. 2. The external surface of the central tendon of the p., lying between the vulva and the anus in the female and the scrotum and the anus in the male. [L. fr. G. perineon, perinaion]
* * *per·i·ne·um also per·i·nae·um .per-ə-'nē-əm n, pl -nea also -naea -'nē-ə an area of tissue that marks externally the approximate boundary of the pelvic outlet and gives passage to the urogenital ducts and rectum also the area between the anus and the posterior part of the external genitalia esp. in the female
* * *n.the region of the body between the anus and the urethral opening, including both skin and underlying muscle. In females it is perforated by the vaginal opening.• perineal adj.
* * *peri·ne·um (per″ĭ-neґəm) [Gr. perinaion, perineos the space between the anus and scrotum] 1. [TA] the region and associated structures occupying the pelvic outlet and beneath the pelvic diaphragm; it is bounded anteriorly by the pubic symphysis, anterolaterally by the ischiopubic rami and the ischial tuberosities, posterolaterally by the sacrotuberous ligaments, and posteriorly by the coccyx. The deep limit is the inferior surface of the pelvic diaphragm, and the superficial limit is the skin. 2. the region between the thighs, bounded in the male by the scrotum and anus and in the female by the vulva and anus, and containing the roots of the external genitalia.
Perineum in a female; the diamond-shaped area between the pubic symphysis and coccyx can be divided into anterior urogenital and posterior anal triangles by drawing a line transversely between the ischial tuberosities.
Medical dictionary. 2011.