- : A lighted instrument used to view the inside of the lower colon.
* * *An endoscope for viewing the lumen of the sigmoid colon. SYN: sigmoscope. [sigmoido- + G. skopeo, to view]
* * *sig·moid·o·scope sig-'mȯid-ə-.skōp n an endoscope designed to be passed through the anus in order to permit inspection, diagnosis, treatment, and photography esp. of the sigmoid colon called also proctosigmoidoscope
* * *n.an instrument inserted through the anus in order to inspect the interior of the rectum and sigmoid colon. In its commonest form it consists of a steel, chrome, or plastic tube, 25 cm long and 3 cm in diameter, with some form of illumination and a bellows to inflate the bowel, but flexible fibre-optic instruments ('flexiscopes'), 60 cm long, are increasingly being used.
* * *sig·moido·scope (sig-moiґdo-skōp) a rigid or flexible endoscope with appropriate illumination for examining the sigmoid colon.
Medical dictionary. 2011.