- : Inflammation and swelling of the bronchi. Bronchitis can be acute or chronic. Chronic bronchitis usually is defined clinically as a daily cough with production of sputum for 3 months, two years in a row. In chronic bronchitis, there is inflammation and swelling of the lining of the airways that lead to narrowing and obstruction of the airways. The inflammation stimulates production of mucous (sputum), which can cause further obstruction of the airways. Obstruction of the airways, especially with mucus, increases the likelihood of bacterial lung infections.
* * *- chronic b. a condition of the bronchial tree characterized by cough, hypersecretion of mucus, and expectoration of sputum over a long period of time, associated with frequent bronchial infections; usually due to inhalation, over a prolonged period, of air contaminated by dust or by noxious gases of combustion.- fibrinous b. inflammation of the bronchial mucous membrane, accompanied by a fibrinous exudation, which often forms a cast of the bronchial tree with severe obstruction of air flow. SYN: plastic b., pseudomembranous b..- hemorrhagic b. chronic b. due to infection with spirochetes (though other bacteria are usually present and contribute to the infection) and characterized by cough and bloody sputum. SYN: bronchopulmonary spirochetosis, bronchospirochetosis, Castellani b..- obliterative b., b. obliterans fibrinous b. in which the exudate becomes organized, obliterating the affected portion of the bronchial tubes with consequent permanent collapse of affected portions of the lung.- pseudomembranous b. SYN: fibrinous b..
* * *bron·chi·tis brän-'kīt-əs, bräŋ- n acute or chronic inflammation of the bronchial tubes also a disease marked by thisbron·chit·ic -'kit-ik adj
* * *n.inflammation of the bronchi (see bronchus). Acute bronchitis is caused by viruses or bacteria and is characterized by coughing, the production of mucopurulent sputum, and narrowing of the bronchi due to spasmodic contraction (see bronchospasm). In chronic bronchitis the patient coughs up excessive mucus secreted by enlarged bronchial mucous glands; the bronchospasm cannot always be relieved by bronchodilator drugs. It is not primarily an inflammatory condition, although it is frequently complicated by acute infections. The disease is particularly prevalent in Britain in association with cigarette smoking, air pollution, and emphysema.
* * *bron·chi·tis (brong-kiґtis) [bronch- + -itis] inflammation of a bronchus or bronchi; there are both acute and chronic varieties. Symptoms usually include fever, coughing, and expectoration. Chronic forms may involve secondary changes to lung tissue. See also chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, under disease. bronchitic adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bronchitis — Bronchitis … Deutsch Wörterbuch
Bronchitis — (f) eng bronchitis … Arbeitssicherheit und Gesundheitsschutz Glossar
Bronchitis — Bron*chi tis, n. [Bronchus + itis.] (Med.) Inflammation, acute or chronic, of the bronchial tubes or any part of them. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Bronchītis — Bronchītis, Entzündung der größeren Verzweigungen der Luftröhre (der Bronchien u. Bronchi) u. zwar meist als Katarrh (Bronchialkatarrh, Katarrhalische B.), der gewöhnlich acute Blutkrankheiten, bes. den Tvphus begleitet, aber auch bei Lungen u.… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Bronchītis — (griech.), Entzündung der Luftröhrenverzweigungen, s. Bronchialkatarrh … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Bronchitis — Bronchītis (grch.), s. Bronchialkatarrh … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
bronchitis — coined in Mod.L. 1808 by Charles Bedham, from bronchia (see BRONCHIAL (Cf. bronchial)) + ITIS (Cf. itis) … Etymology dictionary
bronchitis — ► NOUN ▪ inflammation of the mucous membrane in the bronchial tubes. DERIVATIVES bronchitic adjective & noun … English terms dictionary
bronchitis — [bräŋ kīt′is] n. [ BRONCH(O) + ITIS] an inflammation of the mucous lining of the bronchial tubes bronchitic [bräŋkit′ik] adj … English World dictionary
bronchitis — bronchitic /brong kit ik/, adj. /brong kuy tis/, n. Pathol. acute or chronic inflammation of the membrane lining of the bronchial tubes, caused by respiratory infection or exposure to bronchial irritants, as cigarette smoke. [1812; < NL; see… … Universalium
Bronchitis — Entzündung der Bronchien * * * Bron|chi|tis 〈[ çi ] f.; , ti|den; Med.〉 entzündliche Erkrankung der Schleimhaut der Bronchien; Sy Bronchialkatarr * * * Bron|chi|tis, die; , …itiden (Med.): Entzündung der Bronchialschleimhäute; Luftröhren ,… … Universal-Lexikon