- The cervix is the lower, narrow part of the uterus (womb). The uterus, a hollow, pear-shaped organ, is located in a woman's lower abdomen, between the bladder and the rectum. The cervix forms a canal that opens into the vagina, which leads to the outside of the body. The word "cervix" comes straight from Latin for "neck".
* * *- c. columnae posterioris a slight constriction of the posterior gray column of the spinal cord, seen on cross-section just behind the gray commissure.- c. dentis [TA] SYN: neck of tooth.- strawberry c. macular erythema of the uterine c., characteristic of vaginitis due to Trichomonas vaginalis.- c. of uterus [TA] the lower part of the uterus extending from the isthmus of the uterus into the vagina. It is divided into supravaginal and vaginal parts by its passage through the vaginal wall. SYN: c. uteri [TA], c. (3) [TA], neck of uterus, neck of womb.
* * *1) NECK (1a) esp the back part of the neck2) a constricted portion of an organ or part: asa) the narrow lower or outer end of the uterusb) the constricted cementoenamel junction on a tooth
* * *n.a necklike part, especially the cervix uteri (neck of the uterus), which projects into the vagina. The cervical canal passes through it, linking the cavity of the uterus with the vagina; the canal normally contains mucus, the viscosity of which changes throughout the menstrual cycle. The cervix is capable of wide dilation during childbirth.
* * *cer·vix (surґviks) pl. cerґvices [L.] 1. TA alternative for collum. 2. a constricted portion of a body part or organ. 3. cervix uteri.
Medical dictionary. 2011.