copper poisoning


copper poisoning
poisoning by copper or copper salts. In humans it usually follows excessive intake of medicinal cupric sulfate or results from an enzyme deficiency. Characteristics include vomiting, which may be bluegreen, hypotension, jaundice, and coma that may end in death. In animals it is most common in ruminants and pigs after excessive intake of medicinal or fungicidal copper; acute poisoning is characterized by vomiting and convulsions, while chronic poisoning is marked by liver and kidney damage. Chronic buildup of liver copper stores resulting in release of copper into the bloodstream may cause symptoms similar to those of acute poisoning and may be fatal.

Medical dictionary. 2011.