- The bone extending from the breastbone (sternum) at the base of the front of the neck to the shoulder.
* * *A doubly curved long bone that forms part of the shoulder girdle. Its medial end articulates with the manubrium sterni at the sternoclavicular joint, its lateral end with the acromion of the scapula at the acromioclavicular joint. SYN: clavicula [TA], collar bone.
* * *clav·i·cle 'klav-i-kəl n a bone of the pectoral girdle that links the scapula and sternum, is situated just above the first rib on either side of the neck, and has the form of a narrow elongated S called also collarbonecla·vic·u·lar kla-'vik-yə-lər, klə- adj
* * *n.the collar bone: a long slender curved bone, a pair of which form the front part of the shoulder girdle. Each clavicle articulates laterally with the scapula and medially with the manubrium of the sternum (breastbone). Fracture of the clavicle is a common sports injury: the majority of cases require no treatment other than supporting the weight of the arm in a sling.• clavicular adj.
* * *clav·i·cle (klavґĭ-kəl) clavicula. clavicular adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.