- A toxin produced by mold that is hepatotoxic (can damage the liver) and may possibly lead to liver cancer. Aflatoxins are known to cause cancer in animals. The fungi that produce aflatoxin grow on crops such as peanuts (especially) and wheat, corn, beans and rice. Aflatoxin is a problem particularly in undeveloped and developing countries. Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring mycotoxin produced by two types of mold: Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus. Aspergillus flavus is common and widespread in nature and is most often found when certain grains are grown under stressful conditions such as drought. The mold occurs in soil, decaying vegetation, hay, and grains undergoing microbiological deterioration and invades all types of organic substrates whenever and wherever the conditions are favorable for its growth.
Favorable conditions include high moisture content and high temperature. At least 13 different types of aflatoxin are produced in nature with aflatoxin B1 considered as the most toxic. While the presence of Aspergillus flavus does not always indicate harmful levels of aflatoxin it does mean that the potential for aflatoxin production is present.
* * *Toxic metabolites of some Aspergillus strains including the fungi Aspergillus flavus, Aspergillus parasiticus, and Aspergillus oryzae. They may play a role in the etiology of primary cancer of the liver in humans and produce disease in animals eating peanut meal and other feed contaminated by these fungi.
* * *af·la·tox·in .af-lə-'täk-sən n any of several carcinogenic mycotoxins that are produced esp. in stored agricultural crops (as peanuts) by molds (as Aspergillus flavus)
* * *n.a poisonous substance produced in the spores of the fungus Aspergillus flavus, which infects peanuts. The toxin is known to produce cancer in certain animals and is suspected of being the cause of liver cancers in human beings living in warm and humid regions of the world, where stored nuts and cereals are contaminated by the fungus.
* * *af·la·tox·in (afґlə-tok″sin) a toxic factor produced by Aspergillus flavus and A. parasiticus, molds contaminating seedlings of peanut plants (Arachis hypogaea). Domestic fowl and other animals fed with infected peanut meal may die of aflatoxicosis, hepatocellular carcinoma, or cholangiocarcinoma. It has also been implicated as a cause of human hepatic carcinoma.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
aflatoxin — [af′lə täks΄in] n. [< ModL A(spergillus) fla(vus), species name of the fungus + TOXIN] any of several toxic or carcinogenic substances produced by a fungus (esp. Aspergillus flavus) found on peanuts, corn, etc … English World dictionary
Aflatoxin — Aflatoxins are naturally occurring mycotoxins that are produced by many species of Aspergillus , a fungus, most notably Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus . Aflatoxins are toxic and among the most carcinogenic substances known.… … Wikipedia
Aflatoxin — Strukturformel von Aflatoxin B1 Aflatoxine sind natürlich vorkommende Mykotoxine (Pilzgifte), die erstmals beim Schimmelpilz Aspergillus flavus nachgewiesen wurden, aber auch von anderen Schimmelpilzarten wie Aspergillus parasiticus gebildet… … Deutsch Wikipedia
aflatoxin — A harmful substance made by certain types of mold (Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus) that is often found on poorly stored grains and nuts. Consumption of foods contaminated with aflatoxin is a risk factor for primary liver cancer … English dictionary of cancer terms
aflatoxin — noun Etymology: New Latin Aspergillus flavus, species of mold + English toxin Date: 1962 any of several carcinogenic mycotoxins that are produced especially in stored agricultural crops (as peanuts) by molds (as Aspergillus flavus) … New Collegiate Dictionary
aflatoxin — (af lah tok sin) A polyketide secondary fungal metabolite that can cause cancer … Dictionary of microbiology
aflatoxin — /af leuh tok sin/, n. any of various related mycotoxins produced by a species of Aspergillus, commonly A. flavus, found as a contaminant in moldy grains and meals, as in rice and peanut meal, and suspected of causing liver cancer in humans and… … Universalium
aflatoxin — noun Any of a family of mycotoxins, produces by molds of the Aspergillus genus, that can be toxic, carcinogenic, mutagenic or teratogenic; typically found as contaminants of animal food or peanuts … Wiktionary
Aflatoxin — Af|la|to|xin 〈n. 11; meist Pl.〉 hochgiftiges Stoffwechselprodukt [verkürzt <Aspergillus flavus + Toxin] * * * A|f|la|to|xin [Kunstw. aus nlat. Aspergillus flavus = Gießkannenschimmel (Mikrobiol.) u. ↑ Toxin], das; s, e: äußerst giftige,… … Universal-Lexikon
Aflatoxin — Afla|toxi̱n [Kurzw. aus Aspergillus flavus u. ↑Toxin] s; s, e: giftiges Stoffwechselprodukt des Schimmelpilzes Aspergillus flavus (ruft wahrscheinlich Leberkrebs hervor) … Das Wörterbuch medizinischer Fachausdrücke