- The placenta + the fetal membranes that are normally expelled from the uterus after the birth of the baby. Hence, the "afterbirth." The placenta is of course the organ that joins the mother and fetus and permits the provision of oxygen and nutrients to the fetus and the release of carbon dioxide and waste products from the fetus to the mother. As humanity only disposable organ, the placenta is disk-shaped and at full term measures about 7 inches (18 cm) in diameter and a bit less than 2 inches (4 cm) thick. The fetal membranesthe chorion is the outer one and the amnion is the inner oneenvelop the embryo and contain the amniotic fluid. The word "afterbirth" entered the English language in the 16th century. The term has also been applied to a child born after the fathers death or last testament.
* * *The placenta and membranes that are extruded from the uterus after birth. SYN: secundina, secundines.
* * *af·ter·birth 'af-tər-.bərth n the placenta and fetal membranes that are expelled after delivery called also secundines
* * *n.the placenta, umbilical cord, and ruptured membranes associated with the fetus, which normally become detached from the uterus and expelled within a few hours of birth.
* * *af·ter·birth (afґtər-bərth) the placenta and membranes, delivered from the uterus after the birth of the child. Called also secundina, secundinae, and secundines.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Afterbirth — Aft er*birth , n. (Med.) The placenta and membranes with which the fetus is connected, and which come away after delivery. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
afterbirth — afterbirth. = placenta (см.). (Источник: «Англо русский толковый словарь генетических терминов». Арефьев В.А., Лисовенко Л.А., Москва: Изд во ВНИРО, 1995 г.) … Молекулярная биология и генетика. Толковый словарь.
afterbirth — afterbirth. См. плацента. (Источник: «Англо русский толковый словарь генетических терминов». Арефьев В.А., Лисовенко Л.А., Москва: Изд во ВНИРО, 1995 г.) … Молекулярная биология и генетика. Толковый словарь.
afterbirth — (n.) also after birth, 1580s, from AFTER (Cf. after) + BIRTH (Cf. birth) … Etymology dictionary
afterbirth — ► NOUN ▪ the placenta and fetal membranes discharged from the womb after a birth … English terms dictionary
afterbirth — [af′tər bʉrth΄, äf′tər bʉrth΄] n. the placenta and fetal membranes expelled from the uterus after the birth … English World dictionary
afterbirth — noun Date: 1587 the placenta and fetal membranes that are expelled after delivery … New Collegiate Dictionary
afterbirth — /af teuhr berrth , ahf /, n. the placenta and fetal membranes expelled from the uterus after childbirth. [1580 90; AFTER + BIRTH] * * * … Universalium
afterbirth — noun The placenta and other material expelled via the birth canal following childbirth or parturition in mammals … Wiktionary
afterbirth — (Roget s 3 Superthesaurus) n. placenta, membranes … English dictionary for students