- Instead of using a scalpel, the surgeon utilizes a heat-generating electrical device to burn or vaporize tissue in order to remove it and minimize and halt bleeding.
* * *Division of tissues by high frequency current applied locally with a metal instrument or needle. SEE ALSO: electrocautery. SYN: electrotomy.
* * *elec·tro·sur·gi·cal -'sər-ji-kəl adj
* * *n.the use of a high-frequency electric current from a fine wire electrode (a diathermy knife) to cut tissue. The ground electrode is a large metal plate. When used correctly, little heat spreads to the surrounding tissues, in contrast to electrocautery.
* * *elec·tro·sur·gery (e-lek″tro-surґjər-e) surgical procedures performed using an electrocautery; called also surgical diathermy.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Electrosurgery — is the application of a high frequency electric current to human (or other animal) tissue as a means to remove lesions, staunch bleeding, or cut tissue. Electrosurgery can be used to cut, coagulate, desiccate, or fulgurate tissue.Hainer BL,… … Wikipedia
electrosurgery — [ē lek΄trōsʉr′jər ē, i lek′trōsʉr′jər ē, ē lek′trəsʉr′jər ē, i lek΄trəsʉr′jər ē] n. the use of electricity in surgery, as in cauterizing … English World dictionary
electrosurgery — noun Date: circa 1882 surgery by means of diathermy • electrosurgical adjective … New Collegiate Dictionary
electrosurgery — electrosurgical /i lek troh serr ji keuhl/, adj. /i lek troh serr jeuh ree/, n. the use in surgery of an electric instrument, as an acusector, or of an electric current, as in electrocoagulation; surgical diathermy. [1905 10; ELECTRO + SURGERY] * … Universalium
electrosurgery — noun The application of high frequency electric current to tissue as a means to cut, coagulate, desiccate, or fulgurate it … Wiktionary
electrosurgery — n. use of an electric instrument in surgery … English contemporary dictionary
electrosurgery — noun surgery using a high frequency electric current to cut tissue. Derivatives electrosurgical adjective … English new terms dictionary
electrosurgery — n. the use of a high frequency electric current from a fine wire electrode (a diathermy knife) to cut tissue. The ground electrode is a large metal plate. When used correctly, little heat spreads to the surrounding tissues, in contrast to… … The new mediacal dictionary
electrosurgery — noun surgery performed with electrical devices (as in electrocautery) • Hypernyms: ↑operation, ↑surgery, ↑surgical operation, ↑surgical procedure, ↑surgical process … Useful english dictionary
Cauterization — Cauterize redirects here. For the band, see Cauterize (band)Cauterization is a medical term describing the burning of the body to remove or close a part of it. The main forms of cauterization used today are electrocautery and chemical cautery.… … Wikipedia