- The study of the medical aspects of hormones and their associated diseases and conditions. A medical endocrinologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and management of hormone conditions. Endocrinologists have backgrounds in a number of different medical fields including pediatrics, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, and oncology. (Some endocrinologists have a Ph.D. or another doctoral degree.) Endocrinology is often paired with the study of diabetes and metabolism. Another common pairing of endocrinology is with reproductive medicine and infertility.
* * *The science and medical specialty concerned with the internal or hormonal secretions and their physiologic and pathologic relations. [endocrine + G. logos, study]
* * *en·do·cri·nol·o·gy .en-də-kri-'näl-ə-jē, -.krī- n, pl -gies a science dealing with the endocrine glandsen·do·cri·nol·o·gist -jəst n
* * *n.• endocrinologist n.
* * *en·do·cri·nol·o·gy (en″do-krĭ-nolґə-je) [endocrine + -logy] 1. the study of hormones, the endocrine system, and their role in the physiology of the body. 2. a medical specialty concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the endocrine system.
Medical dictionary. 2011.