- Inside. For example, endogenous cholesterol is cholesterol that is made inside the body and is not in the diet.
* * *Originating or produced within the organism or one of its parts. SYN: endogenic. [endo- + G. -gen, production]
* * *en·dog·e·nous en-'däj-ə-nəs also en·do·gen·ic .en-də-'jen-ik adj1) growing from or on the inside <\endogenous spores>2) caused by factors within the body or mind or arising from internal structural or functional causes <\endogenous malnutrition> <\endogenous psychic depression>3) relating to or produced by metabolic synthesis in the body <\endogenous opioids> <\endogenous amino acids> compare EXOGENOUSen·dog·e·nous·ly adv
* * *adj.arising within or derived from the body. Compare exogenous.
* * *en·dog·e·nous (en-dojґə-nəs) [endo- + -genous] 1. growing from within. 2. developing or originating within the organism, or arising from causes within the organism. Called also endogenic.
Medical dictionary. 2011.