- Cross-eyed or, in medical terms, convergent or internal strabismus.
* * *The form of strabismus in which the visual axes converge; may be paralytic or concomitant, monocular or alternating, accommodative or nonaccommodative. SYN: convergent squint, convergent strabismus, esodeviation (2), internal squint. [G. eso, inward, + trope, turn]- basic e. SYN: nonaccommodative e..- cyclic e. periodic convergent strabismus often occurring every 48 hours. SYN: alternate day strabismus.- nonaccommodative e. that type of e. not influenced by correction of refractive error. SYN: basic e..- nonrefractive accommodative e. that type of e. in which an abnormality of the accommodative-convergence mechanism is not eliminated by correction of refractive error.- refractive accommodative e. that type of e. eliminated by correction of hypermetropic refractive error.
* * *es·o·trop·ic -'träp-ik adj
* * *n.convergent strabismus: a type of squint.
* * *eso·tro·pia (es″o-troґpe-ə) [eso- + tropia] strabismus in which there is manifest deviation of the visual axis of an eye toward that of the other eye, resulting in diplopia. Called also cross-eye and convergent or internal strabismus. esotropic adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.