- Gigantism refers to excessive growth both in height and specific body parts. Gigantism with extreme growth in height may be associated with disorders of the pituitary gland, which secretes human growth hormone (somatotrophin) during childhood before the bones fuse. Excessive growth of specific body parts is also a feature of a number of disorders such as the Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome in which there is macroglossia (a large tongue due to overgrowth of the tongue).
* * *A condition of abnormal size or overgrowth of the entire body or of any of its parts. SYN: giantism. [G. gigas, giant]- cerebral g. a syndrome characterized by increased birth weight and length (above 90th percentile), accelerated growth rate for the first 4 or 5 years without elevation of serum growth hormone levels, and then reversion to normal growth rate; characteristic facies include prognathism, hypertelorism, antimongoloid slant, and dolichocephalic skull; moderate mental retardation and impaired coordination are also associated. See Sotos syndrome.- eunuchoid g. g. with deficient development of sexual organs; may be of pituitary or gonadal origin; g. accompanied by body proportions typical of hypogonadism during adolescence.- pituitary g. a form of g. caused by hypersecretion of pituitary growth hormone; a rare disorder commonly the result of a pituitary adenoma.- primordial g. unusually large size from birth due to familial or genetic factors or intrauterine environment ( e.g., maternal prediabetic state) and not to hyperpituitarism.
* * *gi·gan·tism jī-'gan-.tiz-əm, jə-; 'jī-gən- n development to abnormally large size from excessive growth of the long bones accompanied by muscular weakness and sexual impotence and usu. caused by hyperpituitarism before normal ossification is complete called also macrosomia compare ACROMEGALY
* * *n.abnormal growth causing excessive height, most commonly due to oversecretion during childhood of growth hormone (somatotrophin) by the pituitary gland. In eunuchoid gigantism the tall stature is due to delayed puberty, which results in continued growth of the long bones before their growing ends (epiphyses) fuse. See also acromegaly.
* * *gi·gan·tism (ji-ganґtiz-əm) (jiґgan-tiz-əm) [gigant- + -ism] abnormal overgrowth; excessive size and stature. Called also giantism, hypersomia, and somatomegaly.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gigantism — Classification and external resources Anna Haining Bates with her parents ICD 10 E22.0, E … Wikipedia
gigantism — GIGANTÍSM s.n. 1. Însuşirea, calitatea de a fi gigantic. 2. Boală endocrină care constă în creşterea excesivă în lungime a corpului sau a unor părţi ale lui. – Din fr. gigantisme. Trimis de gall, 13.09.2007. Sursa: DEX 98 GIGANTÍSM s.… … Dicționar Român
gigantism — 1885, from L. gigant (see GIGANTIC (Cf. gigantic)) + ISM (Cf. ism) … Etymology dictionary
gigantism — [jī gan′tiz΄əm, jī′gantiz΄əm] n. [see GIGANTIC & ISM] 1. the quality or state of being gigantic 2. abnormally great growth of the body, due to an excessive production of growth hormone by the anterior lobe of the pituitary gland … English World dictionary
gigantism — /juy gan tiz euhm, ji , juy gan tiz euhm/, n. Pathol. abnormally great development in size or stature of the whole body or of parts of the body, most often due to dysfunction of the pituitary gland. Cf. hypertrophy. [1880 85; < L gigant GIANT +… … Universalium
gigantism — n. abnormal growth causing excessive height, most commonly due to oversecretion during childhood of growth hormone (somatotrophin) by the pituitary gland. In eunuchoid gigantism the tall stature is due to delayed puberty, which results in… … The new mediacal dictionary
gigantism — gigantizmas statusas T sritis ekologija ir aplinkotyra apibrėžtis Pernelyg didelis žmogaus, gyvūno ar kai kurių organizmo dalių proporcingas augimas. atitikmenys: angl. gigantism vok. Gigantismus, m rus. гигантизм, m ryšiai: sinonimas –… … Ekologijos terminų aiškinamasis žodynas
gigantism — noun Date: circa 1885 1. giantism 1 2. development to abnormally large size 3. excessive vegetative growth often accompanied by the inhibiting of reproduction … New Collegiate Dictionary
gigantism — n. [Gr. gigas, giant] Excessive growth of an organ or a complete organism to a large size. gigeriate adj. [L. gigerium, gizzard] (ANNELIDA) Having one or more gizzards in the digestive system … Dictionary of invertebrate zoology
gigantism — noun a) The quality or state of being gigantic; being of abnormally large size. b) A condition where there is over production of growth hormone by the pituitary gland in a child before the bone growth plates close, resulting in excessive long… … Wiktionary