- A major component and an essential ingredient of normal bone and teeth. Hydroxyapatite makes up bone mineral and the matrix of teeth. It is hydroxyapatite that gives bones and teeth their rigidity.
* * *A natural mineral structure that the crystal lattice of bones and teeth ( i.e., amorphous h.) closely resembles; used in chromatography of nucleic acid s; also found in pathologic calcifications ( e.g., atherosclerotic aortas). SYN: hydroxylapatite.- amorphous h. containing ion contaminants ( e.g., 6–8% CO32−, 3–5% Mg2+, F−, Cl−, etc.); found in mineralized connective tissue ( e.g., bone, dentin, cementum). SYN: poorly crystalline h..
* * *hy·droxy·ap·a·tite hī-.dräk-sē-'ap-ə-.tīt or hy·drox·yl·ap·a·tite -sə-'lap-ə-.tīt n a complex phosphate of calcium Ca5(PO4)3OH that occurs as a mineral and is the chief structural element of vertebrate bone
* * *n.1. the crystalline component of bones and teeth, consisting of a complex form of calcium phosphate.2. a biocompatible ceramic material that is a synthetic form of natural hydroxyapatite. Some joint replacement prostheses are coated with synthetic hydroxyapatite, which encourages bone to grow on to the implant. The material is also used in some forms of middle-ear surgery.
* * *hy·droxy·ap·a·tite (hi-drok″se-apґə-tīt) an inorganic compound found in bone matrix and teeth, giving them rigidity. Compounds having this approximate chemical formula are synthesized for use as calcium supplements (see tribasic calcium phosphate, def. 2) and prosthetic aids (see durapatite). Called also hydroxylapatite.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
См. также в других словарях:
Hydroxyapatite — Catégorie VIII : phosphates, arséniates, vanadates Hydroxyapatite Slovaquie … Wikipédia en Français
hydroxyapatite — n. 1) the crystalline component of bones and teeth, consisting of a complex form of calcium phosphate. 2) a biocompatible ceramic material that is a synthetic form of natural hydroxyapatite. Some joint replacement prostheses are coated with… … The new mediacal dictionary
hydroxyapatite — or hydroxylapatite noun Date: 1912 a complex phosphate of calcium Ca5(PO4)3OH that occurs as a mineral and is the chief structural element of vertebrate bone … New Collegiate Dictionary
hydroxyapatite — The calcium phosphate mineral, Ca10(PO4) 6(OH) 2, found both in rocks of non organic origin and as a component of bone and dentine. Used as column packing for chromatography, particularly for separating double stranded DNA from mixtures… … Dictionary of molecular biology
hydroxyapatite — /huy drok see ap euh tuyt /, n. a mineral, Ca10(PO4)6OH2, that is the principal storage form of calcium and phosphorus in bone. [1910 15; HYDROXY + APATITE] * * * … Universalium
hydroxyapatite — noun A basic calcium phosphate mineral that is the principal inorganic constituent of bone and teeth … Wiktionary
hydroxyapatite — hy·droxy·apatite … English syllables
hydroxyapatite — noun see hydroxylapatite … Useful english dictionary
Hydroxyapatite crystal disease — The inflammation caused by hydroxyapatite crystals has been referred to as hydroxyapatite crystal disease. Hydroxyapatite is a major component and an essential ingredient of normal bone and teeth, makes up bone mineral and the matrix of teeth,… … Medical dictionary
hydroxyapatite crystal — microscopic crystals of hydroxyapatite occurring in joints or bursae in a variety of connective tissue disorders. See also apatite deposition disease, under disease … Medical dictionary