- The study of all aspects of the immune system including its structure and function, disorders of the immune system, blood banking, immunization and organ transplantation.
* * *1. The science concerned with the various phenomena of immunity, induced sensitivity, and allergy. 2. Study of the structure and function of the immune system. [immuno- + G. logos, study]
* * *im·mu·nol·o·gy .im-yə-'näl-ə-jē n, pl -gies a science that deals with the immune system and the cell-mediated and humoral aspects of immunity and immune responsesim·mu·no·log·ic -yən-əl-'äj-ik or im·mu·no·log·i·cal -'äj-i-kəl adjim·mu·no·log·i·cal·ly -i-k(ə-)lē adv
* * *n.the study of immunity and all of the phenomena connected with the defence mechanisms of the body.• immunological adj.
* * *im·mu·nol·o·gy (im″u-nolґə-je) the branch of biomedical science concerned with the response of the organism to antigenic challenge, the recognition of self and not self, and all the biological (in vivo), serological (in vitro), and physical chemical aspects of immune phenomena. It encompasses the study of the structure and function of the immune system (basic immunology); immunization, organ transplantation, blood banking, and immunopathology (clinical immunology); laboratory testing of cellular and humoral immune function (laboratory immunology); and the use of antigen-antibody reactions in other laboratory tests (serology and immunochemistry).
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Immunology — is a broad branch of biomedical science that covers the study of all aspects of the immune system in all organisms. It deals with the physiological functioning of the immune system in states of both health and diseases; malfunctions of the… … Wikipedia
immunology — n. The science which studies the immune system, the processes of immunity, and the nature of the immune response, and techniques of analysis which use the immune response. [WordNet 1.5] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
immunology — (n.) by 1906, a hybrid from comb. form of IMMUNE (Cf. immune) + OLOGY (Cf. ology). Related: Immunological; immunologist … Etymology dictionary
immunology — ► NOUN ▪ the branch of medicine and biology concerned with immunity. DERIVATIVES immunologic adjective immunological adjective immunologist noun … English terms dictionary
immunology — ☆ immunology [im΄yo͞o näl′ə jē ] n. [ IMMUNO + LOGY] the branch of science dealing with a) antigens and antibodies, esp. concerning immunity to some infections b) cellular immune mechanisms, as in the rejection of foreign tissues immunological… … English World dictionary
immunology — immunologic /im yeuh nl oj ik, i myooh /, immunological, adj. immunologically, adv. immunologist, n. /im yeuh nol euh jee/, n. the branch of science dealing with the components of the immune system, immunity from disease, the immune response, and … Universalium
immunology — noun Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary Date: 1910 a science that deals with the immune system and the cell mediated and humoral aspects of immunity and immune responses • immunologic or immunological adjective • immunologically… … New Collegiate Dictionary
immunology — the study of immunity, the chemical response to an infection, used to work out relationships between species based on similar responses … Dictionary of ichthyology
immunology — (im u nol o je) The branch of science that deals with the immune system and attempts to understand the many phenomena that are responsible for both acquired and innate immunity. It also includes the use of antibody antigen reactions in other… … Dictionary of microbiology
immunology — noun The branch of medicine that studies the bodys immune system … Wiktionary