- : A localized overgrowth of the upper layer of skin. Common forms of keratosis include aging (senile keratosis) and sun exposure (actinic keratosis).
* * *Any lesion on the epidermis marked by the presence of circumscribed overgrowths of the horny layer. [kerato- + G. -osis, condition]- actinic k. a premalignant warty lesion occurring on the sun-exposed skin of the face or hands in aged light-skinned persons; hyperkeratosis may form a cutaneous horn, and squamous cell carcinoma of low-grade malignancy may develop in a small proportion of untreated patients. SYN: senile keratoderma, senile keratoma, senile k., k. senilis, senile wart, solar k., verruca plana senilis, verruca senilis.- arsenical k. multiple punctate keratoses, most commonly of the palms and soles but also of the fingers and proximal portions of the extremities, resulting from long-term arsenic ingestion; they resemble Bowen disease microscopically and may become squamous cell or basal cell carcinoma.- k. blennorrhagica pustules and crusts associated with Reiter syndrome. SYN: keratoderma blennorrhagica.- k. follicularis [MIM*124200] an autosomal dominant disorder characterized by eruption, beginning usually in late childhood, in which keratotic papules originating from both follicles and interfollicular epidermis of the trunk, face, scalp, and axillae become crusted and verrucous; the papules are often intensely pruritic. Microscopically, dyskeratotic cells termed corps ronds are seen in the epidermis. Longitudinal nail bands are frequent. SYN: Darier disease.- inverted follicular k. a solitary benign epithelial tumor of infundibular hair follicle origin occurring on the face, consisting of a lobulated epidermal downgrowth of keratinizing squamous cells with a pattern of eddies or whorls.- lichenoid k. a solitary benign papule or plaque, with microscopic features resembling lichen planus, occurring on sun-exposed or unexposed skin. SYN: lichen planus-like k..- k. obturans an accretion of epithelia in the external auditory canal. SYN: laminated epithelial plug.- k. pilaris a common benign eruption consisting of scaly papules of the follicles; primarily affects the extensor surfaces of the arms and thighs.- k. pilaris atrophicans faciei erythema and horny plugs of outer portions of the eyebrows with destruction of follicles; onset in early infancy.- k. punctata SYN: punctate keratoderma.- seborrheic k., k. seborrheica superficial, benign, verrucous, often pigmented, greasy lesions consisting of proliferating epidermal cells, resembling basal cells, enclosing horn cysts; they usually occur after the third decade. SYN: basal cell papilloma, seborrheic verruca.- solar k. SYN: actinic k..- tar k. warty lesions of the face and hands resulting from repeated, prolonged exposure to tar and pitch; also occurs as keratoacanthoma-like lesions that can become malignant, particularly on the scrotum.
* * *1) a disease of the skin marked by overgrowth of horny tissue2) an area of the skin affected with keratosisker·a·tot·ic -'tät-ik adj
* * *n.a horny overgrowth of the skin. Actinic (or solar) keratoses are red spots with a scaly surface, found in older fair-skinned people who have been chronically overexposed to the sun. They may occasionally become malignant. Seborrhoeic keratoses (or basal-cell papillomas), less correctly known as seborrhoeic warts, never become malignant. They are superficial yellowish spots, occurring especially on the trunk in middle age, that slowly darken and become warty over the years.
* * *ker·a·to·sis (ker″ə-toґsis) pl. keratoґses [kerato- + -osis] any horny growth, such as a wart or callus; the most common types are actinic keratosis and seborrheic keratosis.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Keratosis — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda La keratosis es una enfermedad de la piel que consiste en la acumulación de keratina en los folículos de los vellos de la piel. Se presenta en forma de protuberancias blancas o rojas, que a menudo son confundidas con … Wikipedia Español
keratosis — [ker΄ə tō′sis] n. pl. keratoses [ker΄ə tō′sēz΄] [ModL < KERAT(O) + OSIS] 1. a horny growth of the skin, as a wart 2. any disease characterized by horny growths … English World dictionary
Keratosis — Infobox Disease Name = PAGENAME Caption = DiseasesDB = ICD10 = ICD9 = ICDO = OMIM = MedlinePlus = eMedicineSubj = eMedicineTopic = MeshID = D007642 Keratosis is a growth of keratin on the skin. More specifically, it can refer to: * actinic… … Wikipedia
keratosis — keratosic, keratotic /ker euh tot ik/, adj. /ker euh toh sis/, n., pl. keratoses / seez/. Pathol. 1. any skin disease characterized by a horny growth, as a wart. 2. any horny growth. Also, keratoma. [1880 85; KERAT + OSIS] * * * ▪ … Universalium
keratosis — noun a skin condition marked by an overgrowth of layers of horny skin • Hypernyms: ↑skin disease, ↑disease of the skin, ↑skin disorder • Hyponyms: ↑wart, ↑verruca, ↑actinic keratosis, ↑ … Useful english dictionary
keratosis — noun /ˌkɛrəˈtəʊsɪs,ˌkɛrəˈtoʊsɪs/ The condition of keratin growing on the skin. See Also: actinic keratosis, seborrheic keratosis, keratosis pilaris … Wiktionary
keratosis — /kɛrəˈtoʊsəs/ (say keruh tohsuhs) noun (plural keratoses /kɛrəˈtoʊsiz/ (say keruh tohseez)) a pathological but harmless condition of the skin characterised by a horny or scaly growth, as a wart. See seborrhoeic keratosis, solar keratosis.… … Australian English dictionary
keratosis — noun (plural keratoses) Etymology: New Latin Date: 1885 an area of skin marked by overgrowth of horny tissue • keratotic adjective … New Collegiate Dictionary
keratosis — n. skin disease which causes horny growths (Pathology) … English contemporary dictionary
keratosis — [ˌkɛrə təʊsɪs] noun (plural keratoses) Medicine a horny growth, especially on the skin … English new terms dictionary