- Abbreviation standing for laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis, a kind of laser eye surgery designed to change the shape of the cornea to eliminate or reduce the need for glasses and contact lenses in cases of severe myopia (nearsightedness). Before LASIK, the most common form of laser eye surgery was a treatment called PRK which involved scraping away the surface cells of the cornea before reshaping it with the laser. Unfortunately, the healing process after PRK tends to be very painful and can take weeks. Furthermore, both eyes cannot be treated at the same time and the patient must wait several months between treatments to allow each eye to recover sufficiently. LASIK is an ambulatory procedure done in an ophthalmology office or clinic. Numbing eye drops are used. The eyelids are held open so that there is no interference with the laser. The ophthalmologist creates an ultrathin flap on the front of the eye with a precise automated instrument. The flap is gently lifted and the preprogrammed laser then reshapes the inner cornea to refocus the eye. The flap is repositioned and holds itself in place, healing naturally without the need for any stitches. The laser pulses last on the average between 30 and 60 seconds. In all, LASIK takes about 20 minutes to do both eyes. The procedure is without much pain and recovery is quick. One may experience some mild discomfort and watering of the eyes after treatment. This varies from person to person but has been likened to the sensation of having worn contact lenses for too long. The risks associated with LASIK also include a small but real risk of an infection in the eye. No eye patch need be worn after LASIK. LASIK is now coming into use also to treat hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism. LASIK does not treat or prevent age-related long-sight (presbyopia), which is due to the decreasing flexibility of the eye's lens that almost all of us experience as we approach our fifties and need to wear reading glasses.
Women considering LASIK need to know that hormonal changes in pregnancy affect the cornea's shape and density and can complicate both the healing process and the success of LASIK. Women who plan to become pregnant within 6 months of LASIK surgery should not have the procedure done.
* * *Acronym for laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis.* * *laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis
* * *LA·SIK 'lā-sik n a surgical operation to reshape the cornea for correction of nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism that involves the use of a microkeratome to separate the surface layer of the cornea creating a hinged flap providing access to the inner cornea where varying degrees of tissue are removed by an excimer laser followed by replacement of the corneal flap called also laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis
* * *laser in situ keratomileusis: laser refractive eye surgery used to correct both myopia (short sight) and hypermetropia (long sight). A thin corneal flap (epithelium and stroma) is raised using a keratome, the cornea is reshaped using an excimer laser, and the flap is then replaced. Compare intrastromal keratomileusis.
* * *laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
LASIK — or Lasik ( laser assisted in situ keratomileusis ) is a type of refractive laser eye surgery performed by ophthalmologists for correcting myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. [ [http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSS/9339/32123.html LASIK. ]… … Wikipedia
LASIK — La technique du Lasik (LAser in Situ Keratomileusis) est une intervention chirurgicale de l œil. Son principe consiste à découper une fine lamelle dans l épaisseur de la cornée (qui est la partie transparente de la surface de l oeil) afin de… … Wikipédia en Français
LASIK MD — is Canada s leading provider of laser vision correction. As of 2007, LASIK MD performs approximately 40% of the laser vision correction procedures in Canada. [Maclean’s June 11 2007 Volume 120 number 22] LASIK MD was founded in 2001 by Dr. Mark… … Wikipedia
LASIK MD — est une entreprise canadienne offrant des services en matière de correction de la vue au laser. En 2010, LASIK MD a effectué au delà de 70 000 interventions, plus de la moitié de toutes les corrections de la vue au laser au Canada. LASIK MD … Wikipédia en Français
LASIK — [lā′sik] n. 〚las(er assisted) i(n situ) k(eratomileusis) < ModL keratomileusis, a cutting of the cornea /span> KERATO + Gr (s)mileusis, carving < smilē, a knife; see IN SITU〛 a type of eye surgery used to correct faulty vision: a thin, outer… … Universalium
LASIK — [lā′sik] n. [las(er assisted) i(n situ) k(eratomileusis) < ModL keratomileusis, a cutting of the cornea < KERATO + Gr (s)mileusis, carving < smilē, a knife; see IN SITU] a type of eye surgery used to correct faulty vision: a thin, outer… … English World dictionary
LASIK — Проверить нейтральность. На странице обсуждения должны быть подробности … Википедия
LASIK — Unter dem Oberbegriff refraktive Chirurgie werden Augenoperationen zusammengefasst, die eine Brille oder Kontaktlinsen zur Korrektur der Brechkraft ersetzen sollen. Die Augenheilkunde kennt mehrere Operationsmethoden zur Korrektur von… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lasik — La technique du Lasik (LAser in Situ Keratomileusis) est une intervention chirurgicale de l œil. Son principe consiste à découper une fine lamelle dans l épaisseur de la cornée (qui est la partie transparente de la surface de l oeil) afin de… … Wikipédia en Français
LASIK — Intervención LASIK El … Wikipedia Español