- : A thick fluid produced by the lining of some organs of the body.
* * *The clear viscid secretion of the mucous membranes, consisting of mucin, epithelial cells, leukocytes, and various inorganic salts dissolved in water. [L.]- glairy m. SYN: pituita.
* * *mu·cus 'myü-kəs n a viscid slippery secretion that is usu. rich in mucins and is produced by mucous membranes which it moistens and protects
* * *n.a viscous fluid secreted by mucous membrane. Mucus acts as a protective barrier over the membranes, a lubricant, and a carrier of enzymes. It consists chiefly of glycoprotein, particularly mucin.• mucous adj.
* * *mu·cus (muґkəs) [L.] the free slime of the mucous membranes, composed of secretion of the glands, along with various inorganic salts, desquamated cells, and leukocytes.
Medical dictionary. 2011.