- The excretion of an excessively large amount of sodium in the urine. Natriuresis is similar to diuresis (the excretion of an unusually large quantity of urine), except that in natriuresis the urine is exceptionally salty. Natriuresis is a ancient language hybrid of the Latin natrium = sodium and the Greek ouresis = a making water.
* * *Urinary excretion of sodium; commonly designates enhanced sodium excretion, which may occur in certain diseases or as a result of the administration of diuretic drugs. [natrium + G. ouron, urine]
* * *na·tri·ure·sis .nā-trē-(y)ə-'rē-səs also na·tru·re·sis -trə-'rē-səs n excessive loss of cations and esp. sodium in the urinena·tri·uret·ic -'ret-ik adj or n
* * *n.the excretion of sodium in the urine, especially in greater than normal amounts.
* * *na·tri·ure·sis (na″tre-u-reґsis) [L. natrium sodium + -uresis] the excretion of sodium in the urine, particularly in excessive amounts; see also salt-losing syndrome, under syndrome.
Medical dictionary. 2011.