- The pigmented projection on the surface of the breast. Ducts that conduct milk from the mammary glands to the surface of the breast exit through the nipple. The surrounding flat area of pigmentation is the areola.
* * *A wartlike projection at the apex of the breast on the surface of which the lactiferous ducts open; it is surrounded by a circular pigmented area, the areola. SYN: papilla mammae [TA], mammilla (2), papilla of breast, teat (1), thele, thelium (3). [dim. of A.S. neb, beak, nose (?)]- aortic n. colloquial term for the radiographic appearance of the left superior intercostal or accessory hemiazygos vein as a bump on the aortic knob.
* * *nip·ple 'nip-əl n1) the protuberance of a mammary gland upon which in the female the lactiferous ducts open and from which milk is drawn2 a) an artificial teat through which a bottle-fed infant nursesb) a device with an orifice through which the discharge of a liquid can be regulated
* * *n.the protuberance at the centre of the breast. In females the milk ducts open at the nipple.
* * *nip·ple (nipґəl) 1. papilla mammae. 2. any structure shaped like the papilla mammae.
Medical dictionary. 2011.