- : The roof of the mouth. The front portion is bony (hard palate), and the back portion is muscular (soft palate).
* * *The bony and muscular partition between the oral and nasal cavities. SYN: palatum [TA], roof of mouth, uraniscus. [L. palatum, p.]- bony p. [TA] a concave elliptical bony plate, constituting the roof of the oral cavity, formed of the palatine process of the maxilla and the horizontal plate of the palatine bone on either side. SYN: palatum osseum [TA].- cleft p. a congenital fissure in the median line of the p., often associated with cleft lip. Often occurs as a feature of a syndrome or generalized condition, e.g., diastrophic dwarfism or spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita; its general genetic behavior resembles that of cleft lip. SYN: palatoschisis, palatum fissum.- falling p. SYN: uvuloptosis.- Gothic p. an abnormally highly arched p..- hard p. [TA] 1. the anterior part of the p., consisting of the bony p. covered above by the mucous membrane of the floor of the nasal cavity and below by the mucoperiosteum of the roof of the mouth, which contains the palatine vessels, nerves, and mucous glands; SYN: palatum durum [TA]. 2. in cephalometrics, a line connecting the anterior and posterior nasal spines to represent the position of the bony p..- pendulous p. SYN: uvula of soft p..- primary p. in the early embryo, the shelf, formed from the medial nasal processes, that anteriorly separates the oral cavity below from the primitive nasal cavities above. SYN: primitive p..- secondary p. the portion of the embryonic p., posterior to the primary p. that forms from the palatal processes of the embryonic maxilla and develops into the hard and soft palates.- soft p. [TA] the posterior muscular portion of the p., forming an incomplete septum between the mouth and the oropharynx, and between the oropharynx and the nasopharynx. SYN: palatum molle [TA], velum palatinum, velum pendulum palati.
* * *pal·ate 'pal-ət n the roof of the mouth separating the mouth from the nasal cavity see HARD PALATE, SOFT PALATE
* * *n.the roof of the mouth, which separates the mouth from the nasal cavity and consists of two portions. The hard palate, at the front of the mouth, is formed by processes of the maxillae and palatine bones and is covered by mucous membrane. The soft palate, further back, is a movable fold of mucous membrane that tapers at the back of the mouth to form a fleshy hanging flap of tissue - the uvula.
* * *pal·ate (palґət) palatum.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Palate — Pal ate, n. [L. palatum: cf. F. palais, Of. also palat.] 1. (Anat.) The roof of the mouth. [1913 Webster] Note: The fixed portion, or palate proper, supported by the maxillary and palatine bones, is called the hard palate to distinguish it from… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
palate — [pal′it] n. [ME < L palatum] 1. the roof of the mouth, consisting of a hard, bony forward part (the hard palate) and a soft, fleshy back part (the soft palate, or velum) 2. sense of taste: the palate was incorrectly thought to be the organ of… … English World dictionary
palate — imper. pl. palaukite: Palate palate, bus jum, kai sulauksit žiemos! Al … Dictionary of the Lithuanian Language
Palate — Pal ate, v. t. To perceive by the taste. [Obs.] Shak. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
palate — (n.) late 14c., roof of the mouth, from O.Fr. palat, from L. palatum roof of the mouth, perhaps of Etruscan origin. Popularly considered the seat of taste, hence transferred meaning sense of taste (1520s) … Etymology dictionary
palate — *taste, relish, gusto, zest … New Dictionary of Synonyms
palate — ► NOUN 1) the roof of the mouth, separating the cavities of the mouth and nose in vertebrates. 2) a person s ability to distinguish between and appreciate different flavours. 3) a person s taste or liking. ORIGIN Latin palatum … English terms dictionary
palate — palateless, adj. palatelike, adj. /pal it/, n. 1. Anat. the roof of the mouth, consisting of an anterior bony portion (hard palate) and a posterior muscular portion (soft palate) that separate the oral cavity from the nasal cavity. See diag.… … Universalium
Palate — Infobox Anatomy Name = PAGENAME Latin = palatum GraySubject = 242 GrayPage = 1112 Caption = Head and neck. Caption2 = Palate exhibiting torus palatinus. Precursor = System = Artery = Vein = Nerve = Lymph = MeshName = Palate MeshNumber =… … Wikipedia
palate — n. 1) a cleft; perforated palate 2) the hard; soft palate 3) (misc.) to tickle the palate ( to be very tasty ) * * * [ pælɪt] perforated palate soft palate a cleft the hard (misc.) to tickle the palate ( to be very tasty ) … Combinatory dictionary