- Pantothenic acid
- Pantothenic acid is vitamin B5, one of the less well known B vitamins, perhaps because it is widely distributed in nature. Pantothenic acid is virtually ubiquitous. It is present in foods as diverse as poultry, soybeans, yogurt, and sweet potatoes. No naturally occurring disease due to a deficiency of pantothenic acid has been identified, due to the plentifulness of this vitamin. An experimental deficiency of pantothenic acid has, however, been created by administering an antagonist to pantothenic acid. This experiment produced disease, thereby demonstrating that pantothenic acid is essential to humans. Pantothenic acid was discovered in 1940.
* * *The β-alanine amide of pantoic acid. A growth substance widely distributed in plant and animal tissues, and essential for growth of a number of organisms; deficiency in diet causes a dermatitis in chicks and rats and achromotrichia in the latter; a precursor to coenzyme A. SYN: antidermatitis factor.
* * *pan·to·then·ic acid .pant-ə-.then-ik- n a viscous oily acid C9H17NO5 that belongs to the vitamin B complex, occurs usu. combined (as in coenzyme A) in all living tissues and esp. liver, is made synthetically, and is essential for the growth of various animals and microorganisms
* * *a B vitamin that is a constituent of coenzyme A. It plays an important role in the transfer of acetyl groups in the body. Pantothenic acid is widely distributed in food and a deficiency is therefore unlikely to occur.
* * *pan·to·then·ic ac·id (pan″to-thenґik) the amide of β-alanine and pantoic acid, a B complex vitamin that is a constituent of coenzyme A; it is distributed ubiquitously in foods, and a deficiency syndrome has not been demonstrated in humans except by experimental administration of the pantothenic acid antagonist ω-methylpantothenic acid.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
pantothenic acid — pantothenic acid. См. витамин В5. (Источник: «Англо русский толковый словарь генетических терминов». Арефьев В.А., Лисовенко Л.А., Москва: Изд во ВНИРО, 1995 г.) … Молекулярная биология и генетика. Толковый словарь.
pantothenic acid — [pan΄tō then′ik] n. [Gr pantothen, from every side < pantos (see PANTO ) + IC] a yellow, viscous oil, C9H17NO5, a member of the vitamin B complex, widely distributed in animal and plant tissues and prepared synthetically: thought to be… … English World dictionary
Pantothenic acid — Chembox new ImageFile=Pantothenic acid structure.svg ImageSize=300px IUPACName=3 [(2,4 dihydroxy 3, 3 dimethyl 1 oxobutyl) amino] propanoic acid OtherNames= Section1= Chembox Identifiers CASNo=137 08 6 PubChem=988… … Wikipedia
pantothenic acid — /pan teuh then ik, pan /, Biochem. a hydroxy acid, C9H17O5N, found in plant and animal tissues, rice, bran, etc., that is part of the B complex of vitamins and is essential for cell growth. [1930 35; < Gk pántothen from all quarters (panto PANTO… … Universalium
pantothenic acid — a B vitamin that is a constituent of coenzyme A. It plays an important role in the transfer of acetyl groups in the body. Pantothenic acid is widely distributed in food and a deficiency is therefore unlikely to occur … The new mediacal dictionary
pantothenic acid — pantoteno rūgštis statusas T sritis chemija formulė HOCH₂C(CH₃)₂CH(OH)CONHCH₂CH₂COOH atitikmenys: angl. pantothenic acid; vitamin B₃ rus. витамин B₃; пантотеновая кислота ryšiai: sinonimas – 3 (2,4 dihidroksi 3,3 dimetilbutanoilamino)propano… … Chemijos terminų aiškinamasis žodynas
pantothenic acid — noun Etymology: Greek pantothen from all sides, from pant , pas all more at pan Date: 1933 a viscous oily acid C9H17NO5 of the vitamin B complex found in all living tissues … New Collegiate Dictionary
pantothenic acid — pan′to•then′ic ac′id [[t]ˈpæn təˈθɛn ɪk, ˌpæn [/t]] n. biochem. nut a hydroxy acid, C9H17O5N, that is a component of the vitamin B complex, abundant in liver, yeast, and bran • Etymology: 1930–35; < Gk pántothen from all quarters (panto panto… … From formal English to slang
pantothenic acid — /ˌpæntəθɛnɪk ˈæsəd/ (say .pantuhthenik asuhd) noun an oily hydroxy acid, HOCH2C(CH)2CHOHCONHCH2CH2COOH, found in plant and animal tissues, rice, bran, etc., which is essential for cell growth, and is a constituent of coenzyme A … Australian English dictionary
pantothenic acid — a B vitamin essential in the diet of many cultured species … Dictionary of ichthyology