- A benign tumor that projects above the surface of the tissue from which it arises. Papillomas have clearcut borders and are usually small and fairly round.
* * *A circumscribed, benign epithelial tumor projecting from the surrounding surface; more precisely, a benign epithelial neoplasm consisting of villous or arborescent outgrowths of fibrovascular stroma covered by neoplastic cells. SYN: papillary tumor. [papilla + G. -oma, tumor]- p. diffusum widespread occurrence of papillomas.- duct p. SYN: intraductal p..- hard p. SYN: p. durum.- p. inguinale tropicum a cutaneous eruption, occurring in Colombia, characterized by numerous slender pink vegetations in the inguinal region.- intracystic p. a p. growing within a cystic adenoma, filling the cavity with a mass of branching epithelial processes.- intraductal p. a small, often nonpalpable, benign p. arising in a lactiferous duct and frequently causing bleeding from the nipple. SYN: duct p..- inverted p. an eplithelial tumor of the urinary bladder or nasal cavity in which proliferating epithelium is invaginated beneath the surface and is more smoothly rounded than in other papillomas.- p. molle SYN: skin tag.- Shope p. a papillomatous growth found in wild cottontail rabbits originally described by Shope that is caused by a virus in the family Papovaviridae and can be transferred to domestic rabbits where it will cause similar growths. A high percentage of these growths may become malignant.- soft p. SYN: skin tag.- villous p. a p. composed of slender, fingerlike excrescences occurring in the bladder or large intestine, or from the choroid plexus of the cerebral ventricles; villous p. of the colon is usually sessile and frequently becomes malignant. SYN: villous tumor.- zymotic p. SYN: yaws.
* * *pap·il·lo·ma .pap-ə-'lō-mə n, pl -mas also -ma·ta -mət-ə a benign tumor (as a wart or condyloma) resulting from an overgrowth of epithelial tissue on papillae of vascularized connective tissue (as of the skin) see papillomavirus
* * *n.a benign nipple-like growth on the surface of skin or mucous membrane. Examples include basal-cell papillomas (see keratosis) and bladder papillomas.• papillomatous adj.
* * *pap·il·lo·ma (pap″ĭ-loґmə) [papilla + -oma] a benign epithelial neoplasm producing finger-like or verrucous projections from the epithelial surface. Called also papillary tumor. papillomatous adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.