- Through the skin, as in a percutaneous biopsy.
* * *Denoting the passage of substances through unbroken skin, as in absorption by inunction; also passage through the skin by needle puncture, including introduction of wires and catheters by Seldinger technique. SYN: transcutaneous, transdermic.
* * *per·cu·ta·ne·ous .pər-kyu̇-'tā-nē-əs adj effected or performed through the skin <\percutaneous removal of renal calculi (G. M. Preminger )(et al)>per·cu·ta·ne·ous·ly adv
* * *adj.through the skin: often applied to the route of administration of drugs in ointments, etc., which are absorbed through the skin.
* * *per·cu·ta·ne·ous (pur″ku-taґne-əs) [per- + cutaneous] performed through the skin, as injection of radiopaque material in radiological examination, or the removal of tissue for biopsy accomplished by a needle. Cf. transdermal.
Medical dictionary. 2011.