- Through the skin, as in a percutaneous biopsy.
* * *Denoting the passage of substances through unbroken skin, as in absorption by inunction; also passage through the skin by needle puncture, including introduction of wires and catheters by Seldinger technique. SYN: transcutaneous, transdermic.
* * *per·cu·ta·ne·ous .pər-kyu̇-'tā-nē-əs adj effected or performed through the skin <\percutaneous removal of renal calculi (G. M. Preminger )(et al)>per·cu·ta·ne·ous·ly adv
* * *adj.through the skin: often applied to the route of administration of drugs in ointments, etc., which are absorbed through the skin.
* * *per·cu·ta·ne·ous (pur″ku-taґne-əs) [per- + cutaneous] performed through the skin, as injection of radiopaque material in radiological examination, or the removal of tissue for biopsy accomplished by a needle. Cf. transdermal.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
percutaneous — 1887, from L. per cutem through the skin; see CUTICLE (Cf. cuticle) … Etymology dictionary
percutaneous — [pʉr΄kyo͞o tā′nē əs] adj. [ PER + CUTANEOUS] effected or introduced through the skin, as by rubbing, injection, etc. percutaneously adv … English World dictionary
Percutaneous — In surgery, percutaneous pertains to any medical procedure where access to inner organs or other tissue is done via needle puncture of the skin, rather than by using an open approach where inner organs or tissue are exposed (typically with the… … Wikipedia
percutaneous — /pɜkjuˈteɪniəs/ (say perkyooh tayneeuhs) adjective Medicine effected through the skin: the percutaneous absorption of a treatment applied to the skin … Australian English dictionary
percutaneous — adjective Date: 1887 effected, occurring, or performed through the skin • percutaneously adverb … New Collegiate Dictionary
percutaneous — adj. [L. per, through; cutis, skin] Penetration through the skin … Dictionary of invertebrate zoology
percutaneous — /perr kyooh tay nee euhs/, adj. administered, removed, or absorbed by way of the skin, as an injection, needle biopsy, or transdermal drug. [1885 90; PER + CUTANEOUS] * * * … Universalium
percutaneous — adjective Taking place through the skin … Wiktionary
percutaneous — perÂ·cuÂ·taÂ·neÂ·ous || â€špÉœrkjuË teÉªnÉªÉ™s /â€špÉœË adj. administered or absorbed through the skin (such as an injection or medication) … English contemporary dictionary
percutaneous — [ˌpə:kjʊ teɪnɪəs] adjective Medicine made, done, or effected through the skin. Derivatives percutaneously adverb Origin C19: from L. per cutem through the skin + aneous … English new terms dictionary