- 1) The secretion of fluid by the sweat (sudoriferous) glands. These small, tubular glands are situated within the skin, as well as in the subcutaneous tissue under it. They discharge their fluid through tiny openings in the surface of the skin. Perspiration serves at least two purposes: the removal of waste products such as urea and ammonia, and cooling of the body temperature as sweat evaporates. 2) The transparent, colorless, acidic fluid secreted by the sweat glands. It contains some fatty acids and mineral matter. Adult perspiration gains its characteristic odor from the waste products excreted. Also known as sweat.
* * *1. The excretion of fluid by the sweat glands of the skin. SYN: diaphoresis, sudation, sweating. SEE ALSO: sweat. 2. All fluid loss through normal skin, whether by sweat gland secretion or by diffusion through other skin structures. 3. The hypotonic fluid excreted by the sweat glands; it consists of water containing sodium chloride and phosphate, urea, ammonia, ethereal sulfates, creatinine, fats, and other waste products; the average daily quantity is estimated at about 1500 g. SYN: sudor. SEE ALSO: sweat (1). [L. per-spiro, pp. -atus, to breathe everywhere]- insensible p. p. that evaporates before it is perceived as moisture on the skin; the term sometimes includes evaporation from the lungs.- sensible p. the p. excreted in large quantity, or when there is much humidity in the atmosphere, so that it appears as moisture (sweat) on the skin.
* * *per·spi·ra·tion .pər-spə-'rā-shən n1) the act or process of perspiring2) a saline fluid that is secreted by the sweat glands, that consists chiefly of water containing sodium chloride and other salts, nitrogenous substances (as urea), carbon dioxide, and other solutes, and that serves both as a means of excretion and as a regulator of body temperature through the cooling effect of its evaporation
* * *n.sweat or the process of sweating. Insensible perspiration is sweat that evaporates immediately from the skin and is therefore not visible; sensible perspiration is visible on the skin in the form of drops.
* * *per·spi·ra·tion (pur″spĭ-raґshən) [L. perspirare to breathe through] 1. sweating. 2. sweat.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
См. также в других словарях:
perspiration — [ pɛrspirasjɔ̃ ] n. f. • 1539; lat. perspiratio ♦ Physiol. Ensemble des échanges respiratoires qui se font par la peau. La perspiration est importante chez certains animaux (batraciens). Perspiration insensible : élimination de vapeur d eau par l … Encyclopédie Universelle
Perspiration — Per spi*ra tion, n. [Cf. F. perspiration.] 1. The act or process of perspiring. [1913 Webster] 2. That which is excreted through the skin; sweat. [1913 Webster] Note: A man of average weight throws off through the skin during 24 hours about 18… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
perspiration — 1610s, from Fr. perspiration (1560s), noun of action from perspirer perspire, from L. perspirare blow or breathe constantly, from per through + spirare to breathe, blow (see SPIRIT (Cf. spirit)). Applied to excretion of invisible moistures… … Etymology dictionary
Perspiration — steht für: Schwitzen, bei Tieren die Wasserabgabe über die Haut Hautatmung, bei Tieren der Austausch von Sauerstoff und Kohlendioxid über die Haut … Deutsch Wikipedia
Perspiration — (lat.), soviel wie Hautatmung, s. Atmung, S. 55. Die gasförmigen Ausscheidungen der Haut (Kohlensäure und Wasserdampf) werden als Perspiratio insensibilis der Schweißabsonderung (Perspiratio sensibilis) gegenübergestellt … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Perspiration — Perspiratiōn (lat.), Hautausdünstung; perspiratōrish, die Ausdünstung befördernd; perspirieren, ausdünsten … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
perspiration — ► NOUN 1) sweat. 2) the process of perspiring … English terms dictionary
perspiration — [pʉr΄spə rā′shən] n. [Fr] 1. the act of perspiring; sweating 2. salty moisture given off in perspiring; sweat … English World dictionary
perspiration — noun … OF PERSPIRATION ▪ bead, drop ▪ Great beads of perspiration trickled down his forehead. VERB + PERSPIRATION ▪ wipe ▪ He wiped the perspiration from his brow … Collocations dictionary
Perspiration — Sweat redirects here. For other uses, see Sweat (disambiguation). Perspire redirects here. For the song by Gigolo Aunts, see Tales from the Vinegar Side. Perspiration The facial sweat of a runner ICD 10 R … Wikipedia
perspiration — /perr speuh ray sheuhn/, n. 1. a salty, watery fluid secreted by the sweat glands of the skin, esp. when very warm as a result of strenuous exertion; sweat. 2. the act or process of perspiring. [1605 15, in sense a breathing through ; 1620 30 for … Universalium