- After mealtime. A postprandial rise in the blood glucose level is one that occurs after eating. Most medical terms have a reasonably logical derivation. Not so with "postprandial." The "post-" part is Latin for "behind, backward, later, or afterward." The "prandial" part comes from the Latin, too, from "prandium" which means "a late breakfast or lunch." "Prandium" derived from the Greek "pro-", before + "endios", midday. So, "postprandial" literally means "after the time before midday." Now, however, "postprandial" refers to the time after any meal. It is a common term in medicine and is pertinent to diabetes, endocrinology, gastroenterology, metabolism, pathology, and many other biomedical fields.
* * *Following a meal. [L. prandium, breakfast]
* * *post·pran·di·al -'pran-dē-əl adj occurring after a meal <\postprandial hypoglycemia>post·pran·di·al·ly -ē adv
* * *adj.occurring after eating.
* * *post·pran·di·al (pōst-pranґde-əl) after a meal; called also postcibal.
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Postprandial — means after eating a meal. [MedlinePlus: Medical Dictionary. [http://www2.merriam webster.com/cgi bin/mwmednlm?book=Medical va=postprandial Postprandial. ] Last accessed July 13, 2007.] This term is often used in the context of blood sugar (or… … Wikipedia
postprandial — POSTPRANDIÁL, Ă, postprandiali, e, adj. (Rar) De după masa de prânz. [pr.: di al] – Post1 + prandial. Trimis de oprocopiuc, 04.04.2004. Sursa: DEX 98 postprandiál adj. (sil. mf. post ) → prandial Trimis de siveco, 13.09.2007. Sursa: Dicţionar… … Dicționar Român
Postprandial — Post*pran di*al, a. [Pref. post + prandial.] Happening, or done, after dinner; after dinner; as, postprandial speeches. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
postprandial — ● postprandial, postprandiale, postprandiaux adjectif Qui se produit après les repas. postprandial, ale, aux [pɔstpʀɑ̃djal, o] adj. ÉTYM. 1986, J. D. Vincent; de post , et prandial « relatif au repas », du lat. prandium « repas » … Encyclopédie Universelle
postprandial — 1820, formed from post after + L. prandium luncheon, meal, from *pram early + edere to eat (see EDIBLE (Cf. edible)) … Etymology dictionary
postprandial — ► ADJECTIVE 1) formal or humorous during or relating to the period after a meal. 2) Medicine occurring after a meal. ORIGIN from Latin prandium a meal … English terms dictionary
postprandial — [pōst΄pran′dē əl] adj. [ POST + PRANDIAL] after a meal; esp., after dinner postprandially adv … English World dictionary
postprandial — postprandially, adv. /pohst pran dee euhl/, adj. after a meal, esp. after dinner: postprandial oratory; a postprandial brandy. [1810 20; POST + L prandi(um) meal + AL1] * * * … Universalium
postprandial — post|pran|di|al [ˌpəustˈprændiəl US ˌpoust ] adj [only before noun] formal especially BrE happening immediately after a meal often used humorously ▪ a postprandial nap … Dictionary of contemporary English
postprandial — adjective formal happening just after dinner: a postprandial nap … Longman dictionary of contemporary English