- A pustule is a small collection of pus in the top layer of skin (epidermis) or beneath it in the dermis. Pustules frequently form in sweat glands or hair follicles. Pus is a mixture of inflammatory cells and liquid. Put somewhat more simply, a pustule is a little pimple full of pus.
* * *A circumscribed, superficial elevation of the skin, up to 1.0 cm in diameter, containing purulent material. [L. pustula]- spongiform p. of Kogoj an epidermal p. formed by infiltration of neutrophils into necrotic epidermis in which the cell walls persist as a spongelike network; seen in pustular psoriasis.
* * *1) a small circumscribed elevation of the skin containing pus and having an inflamed base2) a small often distinctively colored elevation or spot resembling a blister or pimple
* * *n.a small pus-containing blister on the skin.
* * *pus·tule (pusґtūl) [L. pustula] a visible collection of pus within or beneath the epidermis. pustular adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.