- Plastic surgery on the nose, known familiarly as a nose job. Rhinoplasty is a facial cosmetic procedure, usually performed to enhance the appearance of the nose. During rhinoplasty, the nasal cartilages and bones are modified, or tissue is added. The aim is to improve the visual appeal of the nose. Rhinoplasty is also frequently performed to repair nasal fractures. When rhinoplasty is used to repair nasal fractures, the
* * *1. Repair of a defect of the nose. 2. Plastic surgery to change the shape or size of the nose. [rhino- + G. plastos, formed]
* * *rhi·no·plas·ty 'rī-nō-.plas-tē n, pl -ties plastic surgery on the nose usu. for cosmetic purposes called also nose job
* * *n.surgery to alter the shape of the nose, sometimes using tissue (skin, cartilage, or bone) from elsewhere in the body or artificial implants.
* * *rhi·no·plas·ty (riґno-plas″te) [rhino- + -plasty] a plastic surgical operation on the nose, either reconstructive, restorative, or cosmetic. rhinoplastic adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.