- The cell's essential protein factory. A tiny particulate structure located in the cytoplasm of the cell (outside the nucleus), the ribosome is composed of two subunits, one larger than the other. Both subunits were believed to contain both RNA and protein but this is not the full story. Molecular maps of the ribosome have revealed startling details about its structure that boost support for an "RNA world" as the model for the origin of life on Earth. Although the ribosome consists of both ribosomal RNA (rRNA) and protein, the "active site" on the large unit of the ribosome — the site of the chemical reaction that changes genetic information into the beginnings of a protein — contains only rRNA.
This suggests that the ribosome is actually a ribozyme, an RNA molecule that can catalyze its chemical reactions. RNA's starring role in the ribosome may thus support the idea that life on Earth began with RNA.
* * *A granule of ribonucleoprotein, 120–150 Å in diameter, that is the site of protein synthesis from aminoacyl-tRNAs as directed by mRNAs. SYN: Palade granule.
* * *ri·bo·some 'rī-bə-.sōm n any of the RNA- and protein-rich cytoplasmic granules that are sites of protein synthesisri·bo·som·al .rī-bə-'sō-məl adj
* * *n.a particle, consisting of RNA and protein, that occurs in cells and is the site of protein synthesis in the cell (see translation). Ribosomes are either attached to the endoplasmic reticulum or free in the cytoplasm as polysome.• ribosomal adj.
* * *ri·bo·some (riґbo-sōm) [ribonucleic acid + -some] a large molecular structure, approximately 12 nm wide and 25 nm long, having two dissociable subunits, that is the site of protein synthesis (see translation). Ribosomes found in the cytosol of eukaryotes have a sedimentation coefficient of 80S; the subunits have coefficients of 60S and 40S and together contain four different ribosomal RNA (rRNA) chains and about 80 different proteins. Ribosomes found in prokaryotes and mitochondria are smaller (70S, with 50S and 30S subunits containing a total of three rRNAs and 55 proteins) and also differ from eukaryotic ribosomes in their sensitivity to certain antibiotics. ribosomal adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
ribosome — [ ribozom ] n. m. • v. 1960; de ribo et some ♦ Biol. Organite cytoplasmique formé de trois types différents d acides ribonucléiques, associés à cinquante deux protéines distinctes et déchiffrant le code inscrit dans l A. R. N. messager. ⇒… … Encyclopédie Universelle
ribosome — ribosome. См. тельце Паладе. (Источник: «Англо русский толковый словарь генетических терминов». Арефьев В.А., Лисовенко Л.А., Москва: Изд во ВНИРО, 1995 г.) … Молекулярная биология и генетика. Толковый словарь.
ribosome — 1958, coined by U.S. microbiologist Richard B. Roberts (1910 1980) from ribo(nucleic acid) + some body … Etymology dictionary
ribosome — [rī′bə sōm΄] n. [< RIBOSE + SOME3] a minute, spherical particle composed of RNA and proteins and present in great numbers in the cytoplasm of cells: proteins are manufactured at the ribosomal surface following genetic instructions carried… … English World dictionary
Ribosome — cell, showing subcellular components including ribosomes (3). Organelles: (1) nucleolus (2) nucleus (3) ribosomes (little dots) (4) vesicle (5) rough endoplasmic reticulum (ER) (6) Golgi apparatus (7) Cytoskeleton (8) smooth ER (9) mitochondria… … Wikipedia
Ribosome — Schema d une cellule animale type : (1) nucleole (2) Noyau (3) ribosomes (petits points) (4) vesicule (5) Réticulum endoplasmique granuleux (REG) (6) Appareil de Golgi (7) cytosquelette (8) Réticulum endoplasmique lisse (9) Mitochon … Wikipédia en Français
ribosome — ribosomal, adj. /ruy beuh sohm /, n. Cell Biol. a tiny, somewhat mitten shaped organelle occurring in great numbers in the cell cytoplasm either freely, in small clusters, or attached to the outer surfaces of endoplasmic reticula, and functioning … Universalium
ribosome — ribosoma statusas T sritis augalininkystė apibrėžtis Ląstelių organoidas, kuriame vyksta baltymų biosintezė. atitikmenys: angl. ribosome rus. рибосома … Žemės ūkio augalų selekcijos ir sėklininkystės terminų žodynas
ribosome — noun Date: 1958 any of the RNA rich cytoplasmic granules that are sites of protein synthesis see cell illustration • ribosomal adjective … New Collegiate Dictionary
ribosome — n. [L. alteration of arabinose; Gr. soma, body] Aggregations of RNA and proteins that act in synthesis of proteins … Dictionary of invertebrate zoology