- No sperm at all. The ejaculate is completely devoid of sperm. By contrast, in oligospermia (literally, few sperm) there are some sperm, but fewer than normal.
* * *Absence of living spermatozoa in the semen; failure of spermatogenesis. SEE ALSO: aspermia. [G. a- priv. + zoon, animal, + sperma, seed]
* * *azo·osper·mia ā-.zō-ə-'spər-mē-ə, ə-.zō- n absence of spermatozoa from the seminal fluid compare ASPERMIAazo·osper·mic -'spər-mik adj
* * *(aspermia)n.the complete absence of sperm from the seminal fluid. This is due either to failure of formation of sperm by the seminiferous tubules within the testes or to a blockage in the ducts that conduct sperm from the testes. A biopsy of the testis is necessary in order to differentiate these two causes of azoospermia; if a blockage is present it may be possible to relieve it surgically (see epididymovasostomy).
* * *azoo·sper·mia (a-zo″ə-spurґme-ə) [a-1 + zoospermia] lack of live spermatozoa in the semen; see also aspermatogenesis.
Medical dictionary. 2011.