- Inflammation of the of a tonsil, typically as a result of infection by either a virus or bacteria.
* * *- Vincent t. angina limited chiefly to the tonsils, caused by Vincent organisms (bacillus and spirillum).
* * *ton·sil·li·tis .tän(t)-sə-'līt-əs n inflammation of the tonsils and esp. the palatine tonsils typically due to viral or bacterial infection and marked by red enlarged tonsils usu. with sore throat, fever, difficult swallowing, hoarseness or loss of voice, and tender or swollen lymph nodes
* * *n.inflammation of the tonsils due to bacterial or viral infection, causing a sore throat, fever, and difficulty in swallowing. If tonsillitis due to streptococcal infection is not treated (by antibiotics) it may lead to rheumatic fever or nephritis.
* * *ton·sil·li·tis (ton″sĭ-liґtis) [tonsill- + -itis] inflammation of the tonsils, especially the palatine tonsils. tonsillitic adj
Medical dictionary. 2011.