- Relating to the nerves and muscles that cause the blood vessels to constrict or dilate.
* * *1. Causing dilation or constriction of the blood vessel s. 2. Denoting the nerves which have this action. SYN: vasculomotor.
* * *va·so·mo·tor .vā-zō-'mōt-ər adj of, relating to, affecting, or being those nerves or the centers (as in the medulla and spinal cord) from which they arise that supply the muscle fibers of the walls of blood vessels, include sympathetic vasoconstrictors and parasympathetic vasodilators, and by their effect on vascular diameter regulate the amount of blood passing to a particular body part or organ
* * *adj.controlling the muscular walls of blood vessels, especially arteries, and therefore their diameter.
* * *vaso·mo·tor (va″zo-) (vas″o-moґtər) [vaso- + motor] affecting the caliber of a vessel, especially of a blood vessel. Cf. vasoactive.
Medical dictionary. 2011.