- A surgical graft of tissue from one species to an unlike species (or genus or family). A graft from a baboon to a human is a xenograft. The prefix "xeno-" means foreign. It comes from the Greek word "xenos" meaning stranger, guest, or host. (Xeno- and xen- are variant forms of the same prefix.)
* * *A graft transferred from an animal of one species to one of another species. SYN: heterograft, heterologous graft, heteroplastic graft, xenogeneic graft.
* * *xe·no·graft 'zen-ə-.graft, 'zēn- n a graft of tissue taken from a donor of one species and grafted into a recipient of another species called also heterograft, heterotransplant, xenotransplant compare HOMOGRAFTxenograft vt
* * *n.a living tissue graft that is made from an animal of one species to another of a different species. For example, attempts have been made to graft animal organs into humans. bioengineering techniques are now available to produce animals whose MHC is compatible with that of another species. See also xenotransplantation.
* * *xeno·graft (zenґo-graft″) a graft of tissue transplanted between animals of different species. Called also heterograft, heterologous graft, and heteroplastic graft.
Medical dictionary. 2011.