- A chronic inflammatory disease of muscle that begins when white blood cells, the immune cells of inflammation, spontaneously invade muscles, especially the muscles closest to the trunk or torso, resulting in sometimes severe muscle pain, tenderness and weakness. There are commonly periods of increased symptoms, called flares or relapses, and periods of decreased symptoms, known as remissions. The disease is slightly more common in females than males. It affects all age groups, although its onset is most common in middle childhood and in the twenties. It occurs throughout the world. It can be associated with skin rash and is then referred to as "dermatomyositis." It also can affect other areas of the body and is, therefore, a systemic illness. Occasionally, polymyositis is associated with other diseases of connective tissue such as systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, and rheumatoid arthritis. Polymyositis is also associated with modestly increased risk of cancer, including non-Hodgkin lymphoma, lung and bladder cancer. There are many other aspects to this important disease that are beyond the scope of this dictionary entry. For fuller information, please see: Polymyositis (a full article about the disease). FocusOnArthritis.com (site with comprehensive information about polymyositis and other connective tissues diseases).
* * *Inflammation of a number of voluntary muscles simultaneously. [poly- + G. mys, muscle, + -itis, inflammation]
* * *poly·myo·si·tis -.mī-ə-'sīt-əs n inflammation of several muscles at once specif an inflammatory disease of unknown cause that affects muscles and esp. skeletal muscles, is characterized typically by weakness usu. of the proximal muscles (as of the pectoral or pelvic girdles or of the neck), muscle and joint pain, pathological muscle changes (as fiber degeneration or infiltration by lymphocytes), pneumonia, and cardiac abnormalities (as arrhythmia or myocarditis) see DERMATOMYOSITIS
* * *n.a generalized disease of the muscles that may be acute or chronic. It particularly affects the muscles of the shoulder and hip girdles, which are weak and tender to the touch. Microscopic examination of the affected muscles shows diffuse inflammatory changes, and relief of the symptoms is obtained with corticosteroid drugs. The skin may be reddened and atrophic. See also dermatomyositis.
* * *poly·myo·si·tis (pol″e-mi″o-siґtis) [poly- + myositis] chronic, progressive myositis with symmetrical weakness of the limb girdles, neck, and pharynx; it can occur in either children or adults. There is usually associated pain and tenderness, and there may be symptoms resembling those of scleroderma, arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, or SjÑ†gren syndrome. It is also sometimes associated with malignancy, and may be accompanied by characteristic skin lesions (see dermatomyositis).
Medical dictionary. 2011.
Look at other dictionaries:
Polymyosītis — Polymyosītis, soviel wie Dermatomyositis … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Polymyositis — Polymyositis, entzündliche Erkrankung mehrerer Muskeln oder Muskelgruppen; im engeren Sinn eine zu den Autoimmunkrankheiten gerechnete, oft mit Hautveränderungen (Dermatomyositis) und verschiedenen Kollagenkrankheiten verbundene, entzündlich… … Universal-Lexikon
Polymyositis — Infobox Disease Name = PAGENAME Caption = DiseasesDB = 10343 ICD10 = ICD10|M|33|2|m|30 ICD9 = ICD9|710.4 ICDO = OMIM = MedlinePlus = 000428 eMedicineSubj = med eMedicineTopic = 3441 eMedicine mult = eMedicine2|emerg|474 MeshID =… … Wikipedia
Polymyositis — Klassifikation nach ICD 10 M33.2 Polymyositis … Deutsch Wikipedia
polymyositis — ▪ pathology chronic, progressive inflammation of skeletal muscles (muscle), particularly the muscles of the shoulders and pelvis. Initially muscles may be swollen slightly, and the first symptoms to appear are usually muscle weakness… … Universalium
polymyositis — noun myositis characterized by weakness of limb and neck muscles and much muscle pain and swelling; progression and severity vary among individuals (Freq. 1) • Hypernyms: ↑myositis * * * |pälē, lə̇+ noun Etymology: New Latin, from poly + myositis … Useful english dictionary
polymyositis — An inflammatory disease of the muscles closest to the center of the body. It causes weakness, inability to stand, climb stairs, lift, or reach. It may also cause muscle pain and difficulty swallowing, and may affect the lungs and heart. Having… … English dictionary of cancer terms
polymyositis — noun Date: 1878 inflammation of several muscles at once; specifically an inflammatory muscle disease of unknown cause that affects skeletal muscles chiefly closest to the trunk and is characterized especially by muscle weakness and muscle and… … New Collegiate Dictionary
polymyositis — noun An inflammatory disease affecting multiple muscles … Wiktionary
polymyositis — n. progressive disease of the skeletal muscle characterized by weakness scleroderma and rheumatism (Medicine) … English contemporary dictionary